Thursday, May 7, 2009

FW: Hi!

The following is a "letter" I sent to a friend who was wanting to receive more personal and fun e-mails. At her suggestion, I post it here!

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom and Judy McCormick [mailto:tjmac784@gmail.com]
Sent:
Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:54 AM
To: Becky and Larry Jamison
Subject: Hi!

Dear Becky,

I remember the days we would sit down at the kitchen table with our tablet (I liked the narrow lined ones) and a pen. We would sit and write to our family and friends, telling them of our days, our hopes, and our feelings. I would write to my parents, telling them of all my grand adventures, traveling and living in these far away places. They knew when one of their grandchildren cut a new tooth, they knew of my struggles and my hopes.

My dad would sit at his desk, and write those long letters to me, words of encouragement, news from home and news of him and my mom. We would all carefully fold these words up and put them in an envelope. Taking care to write the exact address and our return address! Remember when we all had to adjust to ZIP codes – my heavens, couldn’t the people at the post office read English??!! We all had to have a number because address, city and state were no longer enough??!! Anyway, remember going to the variety store – well any store you happened to be in and looking at the writing tablets. Watching to see if there was anything new and different!

And sending a letter to someone out of the country, buying that special and expensive thin, light weight paper. What was it called?? Onion Skin?? Special paper JUST for Air Mail letters!!! Remember the thrill of sending an Air Mail letter – wow, I knew someone who didn’t live in the United States! And the expense of the postage to send Air Mail!! We would write AS MUCH as we could on one piece of paper, take it to the post office to be weighed and sending off those letters that we knew would only take a few days or so to get to their destinations!

We would almost always start our letters off with “Dear” and “I hope this finds you all well” or “How are You?”. And always we found time for many questions about their lives, their families and those they cared about.

I remember getting letters from an Aunt who could put less words on one page than anyone I knew, she wrote so BIG! And a cousin who wrote so fast, it would sometimes take me days to decipher! But how I loved getting those letters. I knew they were thinking of me, wondering about me and taking the time to write and mail a letter to me.

Ahhhh, those were the days.

I hope you have enjoyed this “letter” – or today’s equivalent of a personal letter~! I do hope this finds you well and I really do care about you!

Love,

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment