As I prepare for the day, I find it amazing how very hard these people over here work this time of year. I know that harvest season only lasts a few weeks, but during those weeks, there is no other activites. Work all the time if you are not sleeping. Yes, it was that way when I was young and living on a farm, but I guess I thought 50-years later, like all things, this too would have changed. The way harvest is done is different only that it's larger, but it's still a race against winter. The crops are heavier, thicker, better and the equipment is bigger, faster and more expensive, but just as subject to breakdowns as the smaller, less efficient equipment was when I was young.
Such admiration I have for these people who grow our food, haul our food to markets, and even those governement guys who inspect every aspect of this process.
Yesterday, I ran the scales that weigh the trucks, several semi's waiting to get filled with potatoes to go to Amarillo, Texas and then back to do it again. Patiently waiting their turn to find out that there was a breakdown in the field and were being sent to another warehouse to fill up. They left, filled up, and will back up today for more. The owner of the farm out in the field trying to get the harvester going, knowing every minute is money. I can't imangine the stress. And the owner of the warehouses, having hired all these trucks, scrambling to find other sources to get those trucks filled to fullfill his obligation to Associated Grocers.
And today, we all go do it again!
No comments:
Post a Comment