Sunday, August 30, 2009

Give Me A Break!!

John, James, John, John, William, John, John.... How could there be so many JOHN McCormick's in the world - much less in Beaver County, Pennsylvania just in the early 1800's??!! If there are any left in Ireland, it's because they moved back there from Pittsburgh!

I have been trying to get McCormick genealogy done - even though we know a large portion of it. It's been so many years since I have done anything on it - I have to re-acquaint myself with all of them again. And in 1800, they didn't use the middle names, if there was a middle name. How to tell one John from another??? And what is Pittsburgh now, was Beaver, was Ohio Township, was Hopewell, was Second Moon Townships! So knowing the name changes, is about I have to go on right now.

So again, I sleep with names, they dance around in my dreams. They all know I am looking for them, they are so very close. We have old NON-identified pictures of this family, I will get to know them all a bit better and I think I will be able to identify some of them.

The Family is planning a reunion next summer, I would like to have a good amount of genealogy put together for everyone. I will do some type of book(let) for each family. We have two members of the "older" generation left - then we will be the "oldest" generation. We have had a divorce this past year of one of our "long time" families of this generation. One of the sad things, they had been married a long time, so both would have had many memories of the McCormick's. But now one is gone by choice and along with her has went a lot of memories and stories that the young one's would want to hear in a few years. One of the losses of divorce. We have lost another member of that older generation, Tom's mom. So we continue to lose those memories. We are on a mission to preserve some of those stories now.

As much as I would love to just concentrate on genealogy, we find ourselves trying to take care of family issues again. Some things happen that are simply out of our hands, and when one person continues on a path of self-destruction, it's so very sad. Added to this is the fact that this person is not in touch with reality, and there is no convincing them of reality. It's just a terribly sad time for all of us with a lot more sadness ahead. I hope that those who know us, know that we love this person more than life itself, and would do whatever we could to help. But sometimes, others can't help. And how it hurts to see one of your children be hurt, and continue to be hurt. The tears that mom and dad can't stop, the pain we can't heal and the future we can't prevent. These are the times that I am so thankful for the plan of salvation, the knowledge that we are ALL a child of God.

Potato harvest is just around the corner, we leave this week to help out again. Because of all going on here, we really don't want to go, but are obligated to go over. We are hoping to bring back sacks like we did last year, although we may not be able to. There are not as many "taters" this year as last. And not as "cheap". Last year I filled so many sacks, each sack was filled by either Tom's cousin's wife or myself. A lot of work! And I am getting so lazy in my old age!

I hope to scan many (old) pictures while I am over there, I wanted to do that last year and never got to it! Maybe this year. . .

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment